EMDR Therapy Kenilworth Warwickshire has successfully helped many clients resolve their traumatic or distressing experiences, in the comfort of our therapy rooms in Kenilworth, Warwickshire
We provide constant therapy support throughout your visits. Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a therapeutic method that now receives worldwide recognition, particularly in the field of, but not limited to, trauma. It uses eye movements and other stimuli to facilitate rapid processing of traumatic memories.
It is an evidence-based therapy used to help with the symptoms of mental health disorders and in particular PTSD.(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder )
EMDR therapy involves the identification of unprocessed traumatic or other distressing experiences that are continuing to drive an individual’s psychological disturbance.
It is thought that when a traumatic or distressing experience occurs, it may overwhelm normal coping mechanisms.
As a result, these unprocessed memories and the accompanying sights, sounds, thoughts and feelings are stored in the brain in ‘raw’ form, where they can be accessed each time we experience something that triggers a recollection of the original event.
The goal of EMDR is to reduce the long-lasting effects of distressing memories by engaging the brain’s natural adaptive information processing mechanisms, thereby relieving present symptoms. The therapy uses an eight-phase approach that includes having the client recall distressing images while receiving one of several types of bilateral sensory input, such as side to side eye movements.
Today, the therapy is used to treat a wide range of psychological difficulties that typically originate in trauma, such as direct or indirect experiences of violence, accidents or natural disaster. EMDR therapy is also used to treat more prolonged, low-grade distress that originates in shock or loss in adult life and/or issues experienced during childhood. The experiences outlined above often lead to a post-traumatic stress disorder diagnosis, for which EMDR has been recommended by the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Increasingly, EMDR therapy is also being used for the treatment of other issues including:
- Panic attacks
- Performance anxiety
- Phobias and fears
- Low self-esteem.
- Grieving and Attachment Issues – (namely, problems in forming happy and lasting relationships as a result of difficult experiences, especially in childhood, like abuse, neglect, loneliness, bullying etc.).
Reported benefits of EMDR include:
- A reduction in re-experiencing trauma memories.
- Feeling more able to cope with and manage trauma memories without needing to avoid potential triggers.
- Feeling more able to engage in and enjoy pleasurable activities and relationships.
- Reduced feelings of stress, anxiety, irritation and hypervigilance – allowing you to rest well, address pressure and/or conflict and go about your daily business without feeling fearful and prone to panic.
- Reduced feelings of isolation, hopelessness and depression.
- A boost in self-confidence and self-esteem.
EMDR Therapy Kenilworth Warwickshire is an entirely natural treatment that relies on your own mind’s natural ability to re-set itself, providing real relief from the symptoms of PTSD, Trauma, anxiety in a remarkably short period of time.
You can and will become empowered to take back control of your life, easily, effortlessly in a calm relaxed environment.